Friday, February 20, 2009

Oscar Predictions

Hi everyone, Jane Craig here. I'm Tiny's "official" arts and entertainment contributor. I thought it was a good idea for my first post to be my 2009 Oscar Predictions (just the biggie categories too, I'm not skilled enough to predict "Best Sound Mixing" ). I'll come back on Monday to see how I did. Please to enjoy!

Actor, Leading
Richard Jenkins in "The Visitor" (Overture Films)
Frank Langella in "Frost/Nixon" (Universal)
Sean Penn in "Milk" (Focus Features)
Brad Pitt in "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" (Paramount and Warner Bros.)
Mickey Rourke in "The Wrestler" (Fox Searchlight)

A couple of months ago I would have bet hard on Rourke, Oscars usually enjoy a sad sack/come back from the ashes kinda story, just not necessarily in real life. I'm going with Penn because I think more people saw Milk and he really does give a stellar performance. Still, this is the most hotly contested race, it really could go either way.

Actor, Supporting
Josh Brolin in "Milk" (Focus Features)
Robert Downey Jr. in "Tropic Thunder" (DreamWorks, Distributed by DreamWorks/Paramount)
Philip Seymour Hoffman in "Doubt" (Miramax)
Heath Ledger in "The Dark Knight" (Warner Bros.)
Michael Shannon in "Revolutionary Road" (DreamWorks, Distributed by Paramount Vantage)

Without a doubt, they will give it to Ledger. Although, it must be said, Downey's performance was better and probably deserves it more.

Actress, Leading
Anne Hathaway in "Rachel Getting Married" (Sony Pictures Classics)
Angelina Jolie in "Changeling" (Universal)
Melissa Leo in "Frozen River" (Sony Pictures Classics)
Meryl Streep in "Doubt" (Miramax)
Kate Winslet in "The Reader" (The Weinstein Company)

Another easy one I think. Even though Hathaway and even Streep for that matter earned a lot of buzz, once Winslet won two Golden Globes this one was decided. If she doesn't win, Winslet becomes the Susan Lucci of the Oscars (and that would be sad).

Actress, Supporting
Amy Adams in "Doubt" (Miramax)
Penélope Cruz in "Vicky Cristina Barcelona" (The Weinstein Company)
Viola Davis in "Doubt" (Miramax)
Taraji P. Henson in "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" (Paramount and Warner Bros.)
Marisa Tomei in "The Wrestler" (Fox Searchlight)

A tough one for me considering I've seen none of these movies (I know, I'm an awesome A&E contributor). So I defer to my bible, Entertainment Weekly, which says Cruz wins. The females in Woody Allen movies have good luck in this category too, so I think it's a safe prediction.

Directing
"The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" (Paramount and Warner Bros.)
David Fincher
"Frost/Nixon" (Universal)
Ron Howard
"Milk" (Focus Features)
Gus Van Sant
"The Reader" (The Weinstein Company)
Stephen Daldry
"Slumdog Millionaire" (Fox Searchlight)
Danny Boyle


See Below

Best Picture

"The Curious Case of Benjamin Button"
"Frost/Nixon"
"Milk"
"The Reader"
"Slumdog Millionaire"

Easily my favorite movie of the year. In hindsight maybe it seemed a little schlocky, cutesy at the end, but no other movie made me feel so bad about a place (Mumbai) and so excited about Who Wants to be a Millionaire.

P.S.-Whatever evil geniuses managed to get The Reader nominated, all I can say is "Bravo". I found it melodramatic, slow and just sort of offensive. But the Academy does love a Holocaust movie, oh well.

I'll be back Monday to see how I did! Enjoy the Oscars!

Jane Craig



7 comments:

buddhafrog said...

First of all, yeah, we have a blog.

Secondly, out of all these movies, I've only seen Dark Knight. RIP. Yes, this is a byproduct of my move overseas.

We are usually many months behind in getting the movies - though we don't go to the theater too often. Most of these movies should be coming soon via a Korenan movie download site (about 10 cents per). I know, I'm ruinning the Hollywood economy.

Welcome, jane craig. Or is it janecraig.

And why is it jane craig?

buddhafrog said...

OK, Jin wants to know who the hell Jane Craig is.

Also, I want to see your review (short or long) of Slumdog Millionaire. I'm hoping it wins just so it might make it to Korea.

And b/c I like M.I.A., whom I've heard is a personal favorite of one Ms. Craig.

Jane Craig said...

I can't say I'm all that enamored by the Oscar picks this year, although I'm thankful for Slumdog. That is a must see!

I'll get the pic on my profile soon so explain Jane Craig.

Jane Craig said...

Ok, my picture is up, but I realize it still might not help. Jane Craig is Holly Hunter's character in one of my all time favorite movies, Broadcast News.

buddhafrog said...

I see the profile pic... but that doesn't explain it to me.

?

buddhafrog said...

OH! We have Holly Hunter writing for us? That's awesome!

And now, after planning on the seeing the movie but never having seen it -- this time, I am certain to see the movie... as soon as I find out where to illegally yet safelly download it.

Anonymous said...

Buddhafrog is a commie lovin' homo lovin' Sean Penn fan.